Last Updated on December 20, 2023 by BiblioLifestyle
Are you searching for some of the best short story collections of 2023? If so, you’re in luck! We are sharing collections of the best collections of 2023 short stories being published this year. The authors with books on this list, their works display impressive creativity, wit, and imagination. So whether you’re searching for something to read on the train or plane, a late-night snuggling session in bed, or just a break from life’s day-to-day stressors, this list of short story collections is sure to help any reader find the perfect companion for their next journey into literature. Keep reading to discover some of the best short story books published in 2023!
The Best Short Story Collections 2023
- Relations by Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond
- The Faraway World by Patricia Engel
- When Trying to Return Home by Jennifer Maritza McCauley
- Call and Response by Gothataone Moeng
- Welcome Me to the Kingdom by Mai Nardone
- Evil Flowers by Gunnhild Øyehaug, Translated by Kari Dickson
- A Small Sacrifice for an Enormous Happiness by Jai Chakrabarti
- A Manual for How to Love Us by Erin Slaughter
- A Broken People’s Playlist by Chimeka Garricks
- White Cat, Black Dog by Kelly Link
- The People Who Report More Stress by Alejandro Varela
- Games and Rituals by Katherine Heiny
- I Am My Country by Kenan Orhan
- People Who Talk to Stuffed Animals Are Nice by Ao Omae, Translated by Emily Balistrieri
- Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird by Agustina Bazterrica, Translated by Sarah Moses
- The Beast You Are by Paul Tremblay
- After the Funeral and Other Stories by Tessa Hadley
- The Best Possible Experience by Nishanth Injam
- Tomb Sweeping by Alexandra Chang
- Holler, Child by LaToya Watkins
- Wednesday’s Child by Yiyun Li
- The Hive and the Honey by Paul Yoon
- Jewel Box by E. Lily Yu
- The End of the World Is a Cul de Sac by Louise Kennedy
When Trying to Return Home by Jennifer Maritza McCauley
A dazzling debut collection spanning a century of Black American and Afro-Latino life in Puerto Rico, Pittsburgh, Louisiana, Miami, and beyond–and an evocative meditation on belonging, the meaning of home, and how we secure freedom on our own terms.
Call and Response by Gothataone Moeng
Richly drawn stories about the lives of ordinary families in contemporary Botswana as they navigate relationships, tradition and caretaking in a rapidly changing world.
BUY ON AMAZON OR BOOKSHOP
The People Who Report More Stress by Alejandro Varela
A collection of humorous, sexy, and highly neurotic tales about parenting, long-term relationships, systemic and interpersonal racism, and class conflict from the author of The Town of Babylon, The People Who Report More Stressdeftly and poignantly expresses the frustration of knowing the problems and solutions to our society’s inequities but being unable to do anything about them.
Games and Rituals by Katherine Heiny
The beloved author of Early Morning Riser brings us glittering stories of love—friendships formed at the airport bar, ex-husbands with benefits, mothers of suspiciously sweet teenagers, ill-advised trysts—in all its forms, both ridiculous and sublime.
People Who Talk to Stuffed Animals Are Nice by Ao Omae, Translated by Emily Balistrieri
A fresh, thoughtful, and always surprising short story collection explores gender, friendship, romance, love, human interaction and its absence, and how a misogynistic society limits women and men.
What do you think about this best short story collections 2023 book list?
Have you read any story collections from this list? What are your favorite short story collections of 2023? What story collections would you add to the list? Let’s talk all about it in the comments.